I went a nutritionist a few years back when we first started to go down the fertility treatment path. My diet overall is pretty good but I’m a breakfast skipper so I wanted something that was quick, nutritious and that I could have on the go. She gave me this recipe and I’ve been passing it on ever since. Not only is it great for you but it tastes delicious – Just remember to check your teeth for chia seeds after!
- 1 X Banana
- ½ a cup of Blueberries
- ½ a cup of Strawberries
- 1 X teaspoon of Black Chia Seeds
- 1 X teaspoon of organic Maca Powder (if you have thyroid issues this is best left out – see not below)
- 2 X teaspoons of organic Cacao Powder
- 1 X heaped tablespoon of High-Protein Greek Yogurt (can be left out or substituted if lactose intolerant or have a dairy allergy)
- 1 X chopped dried Date
- Low-Fat Milk or Almond milk
I think it’s important to know what you’re putting in your body and why, so I’ve included a brief description of benefits on each of the ingredients below.
- Bananas are high in antioxidants and help to stabilise blood sugar levels. They can even help to reduce nausea (great for those suffering from morning sickness).
- Blueberries are great sources of both vitamin C and K and are full of antioxidants. Vitamin C is known to help with iron absorption as well as helping to improve immunity. Blueberries are also a great source of fibre.
- Strawberries are again a great source of vitamin C and antioxidants but also include folate, potassium, magnesium and fibre.
- Chia Seeds contain all three of the needed macronutrients – complex carbohydrates, lean protein and healthy fats.
- Maca again is very rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, copper and iron. It’s known to increase libido in both men and women, increase fertility in men (studies have shown it helps to improve both sperm quality and quantity – so get your lads on it too) and it’s a hormone and mood stabiliser. Unfortunately, Maca is not recommended for people with thyroid problems as some of the compounds contained in Maca are more likely to affect you if you have a pre-existing thyroid condition.
- Cacao again is a good hormone stabiliser, natural mood elevator and anti-depressant. Its also rich in antioxidants, iron, calcium and magnesium.
- High-Protein Greek Yogurt as the name suggests its high in protein but also contains calcium, magnesium and potassium as well as vitamin D, iodine, probiotics and vitamin B-12. Its benefits include promoting feminine health, gut health, immunity and thyroid function.
- Dates are again a great source of fibre but also have antioxidants, magnesium and calcium which are good for bone density as well as blood sugar control.